Subject: Re: BOUNCE autoimmune_research: Approval required

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 15:49:04 -0500 (EST)

1-1-98

The following items are from the January 1998 issue of Support & Sharing, a
bimonthly newsletter of the San Mateo County (CA) Multiple Sclerosis support
group.
 
>From Joyce Harnett
         San Mateo CA
         e-mail:  [email-masked]

RESEARCH NEWS
 
HHV-6 - This human herpes virus has long been suspected of implication in MS.
Recent studies at  the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and
Stroke found that 22 or 73% of 36 MS patients tested had a strong response to
HHV-6 compared to only 18% of healthy volunteers. HHV-6 is the bug which
brings on chicken pox and cold sores. About 90% of Americans are infected at
some time in their lives. It is thought HHV-6 is dormant in the body and then
is reactivated. Said the lead researcher,  "If the HHV-6 virus is really
behind MS, then we need to know why infection with such a common virus causes
disease in so few people." He said maybe drugs used to treat viruses, some
even currently available like acyclovir, might one day be used to treat MS.
Additional testing is underway.

Rebif - The department of neurology at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston TX
is conducting a pilot trial with this drug in Mexican patients with
progressive MS, using high dose weekly subcutaneous injections.  Rebif, a
betaseron 1-a, is similar to avonex. 

Synthetic Peptide - The University of Alberta, Canada, will conduct a
32-patient, Phase II clinical trial for a synthetic peptide thought to help
those with the progressive form of MS. A Phase I trial showed the peptide is
safe. University researchers determined that the immune system focuses on a
specific region of myelin. The peptide contains this small segment and, when
administered in the first trial, reduced the level of anti-myelin. Briano
Bio-Tech of Edmonton is funding the second trial in exchange for world rights
to license resulting technologies.

Transretrinoic Acid - This drug, already approved for psoriasis, is being
tried in
combination with betaseron in a pilot clinical trial at the University of
Chicago. Transretrinoic acid, when combined with betaseron in a test tube,
enhances the ability of betaseron to partially restore suppressor cell
function.

Valve-pump Catheter - Called the In-Flow by its maker, Influence, Inc., this
intraurethral valve-pump catheter will be tested at 10 sites with 150
patients. It is a temporary 29-day catheter designed for women to control
incontinence caused by a flaccid bladder. That's one without muscle tone so
that it builds no pressure until it is filled to capacity. The patient with
the In-Flow uses a remote control device to start a miniature pump which
draws urine from the bladder. As a solution to the inability to urinate
normally, it lies between intermittent catheterization five or six times a
day and an indwelling catheter.  Patients with MS, diabetes and spinal cord
injuries may benefit from it. Influence, Inc., has offices in this country,
Israel, Germany and the UK.

Athena Diagnostics, Inc., of Worcester MA has a new testing service to detect
neutralizing antibodies in beta interferon therapy. When antibodies develop,
a third of users lose the drug's benefit.  An assay run takes four days.
Doctors and patients interested can call 1-800-394-4493 for information.

Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd. of Israel has received FDA clearance for
the distribution and storage of copazone, its MS drug, from frozen to
refrigerated. Seven days' storage at room temperature was okayed if
refrigeration is unavailable. Copaxone also has been approved for use in
Canada.