Subject: 4-AP response

From: "Laura K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 10:12:40 -0400

Good Morning Ladies and gentlemen:

This little tidbit was just sent to me via e-mail.  There was a question
recently on my channel regarding this drug.

I am writing on behalf of Acorda Therapeutics, Inc. in response to many
inquiries we have received regarding an advertisement that appeared in this
month's New Mobility.  The ad is for "clinical trials" of 4-AP being run by
Jack Segal and the 'Casa Colina Centers for Rehabilitation' in Pomona,
California.  The ad states, among other things, that these trials are being
supported by "participant fees."  It also states that participants may reside
"in any part of the United States" and be "monitored by their primary
physician".

We believe it is important to inform the SCI community that this
advertisement, and the "clinical trials" to which it refers, are in no way
associated with Acorda or with Acorda's clinical trials of 4-AP.

Acorda's trials are being supported exclusively by Acorda; there are no
"participant fees."  In addition, Acorda's trials are using Elan
Corporation's patented formulation of 4-AP: this is a sustained-release oral
formulation that requires only twice a day dosing and gives highly
controllable blood levels, as compared to other available formulations.
 Participants in the Acorda-sponsored trials are being recruited and
monitored by leading academic SCI clinical rehabilitation centers, working
together to ensure that the trials are done as expertly as possible, and in
conformance with all FDA regulations.

We hope this information is helpful in avoiding unwarranted concern or
confusion which may arise as a result of the above-mentioned advertisement.
 We would be pleased to answer any additional questions.  Please address them
to <<[email-masked]>>.  Thanks.

Ron Cohen, M.D.

Ron Cohen, M.D.
Acorda Therapeutics, Inc.
145 West 58th Street, Suite #8J
New York, NY   10019
Tel: (212) 376-7553
Fax: (212) 765-8637
E-Mail:  [email-masked]

regards,

Laura K.
Founder: irc channel #multiple_sclerosis
Channel Schedule: @3:00PM+9:00PM EDT
http://www.inx.net/~dgraeme
"Who then can so softly bind up the wound of
another as he who has felt the same wound himself."
                'Thomas Jefferson'