Subject: Hu23F2G study

From: Ann Manasreh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 09:01:48 -0700

My neuro, Dr. Corrie Ford, is beginning the Hu23F2G study at the 
University of New Mexico.  It's only a year long.  It's divided up into 
4 groups--2 levels of Hu23F2G, IVMP, and a placebo.  He has the right to 
intervene with IVMP if it becomes necessary.  The first week requires 2 
lumbar puctures.  I don't know if there are more of those to come.  I 
don't know the other study site locations, but I can try to find out.

No, I'm not participating.  I had natural childbirth twice to avoid 
having my spine messed with.  But I wanted to tell that other things 
happen in Albuquerque besides murders.

---

From: Ann Manasreh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 15:34:38 -0700

Sorry, I don't know the common name of this drug.  And I'm quoting 
directly from Jean Sumption's International MS Support Foundation 
newsletter.  ICOS (?) believes Hu23F2G may reduce the severity and 
length of acute MS exacerbations by preventing white blood cells' 
ability to bind to vascular endotheliun in the brain and spinal cord.  
They speculate this action will interfere with their mobility into these 
tissues.  Should this happen, inflammation may resolve sooner and 
neurological damage may be reduced.

This is Ann speaking:  Since the drug does it's work in the spinal cord, 
this is the why of the lumbar puncture (aka spinal tap).  Basically it 
seems to be a possible replacement for IVMP.  Would it have similar 
side-effects?  Is it a steroid?  I don't know.  But there are so many 
complaints and fears about IVMP, that it would be good to find a drug to 
replace it.

Ann