Subject: Re: Cladribine Trial Results in NJ

From: MARK GUMKOWSKI <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 21:41:04 -0500

Jackie Ferguson wrote:
> 
> [email-masked] wrote:
> >
> > I have news about the cladribine trial results.  Apparently, they were
> > inconclusive...
> 
> Then LaVonne Nurphy wrote: ... Protocol was developed at Scripps
> Clinic.  They have not finished their testing there...   None of the
> drugs for MS is effective for everyone.
> 
> I heard from 2 of our MS compatriots, from B.C., Canada ... that their
> results showed that the experimental group and controls were the same.
> 
> I spoke with one of the big MS guru's (one who orders clad.).  He was
> quite critical of the study design, esp. that they stopped after only a
> year; they didn't adequately distinguish between those with with primary
> cpms and those with secondary progressive MS.
> 
> I took a series of Cladribine IV's last year, from August 1995 to
> February 1996. I think it helped me.
> 
> I'm profoundly disappointed that the study period wasn't longer or that
> it wasn't better controlled.
> 
> Jackie Ferguson, RN, MS (squared)

Hi 
 I just recieved my results today from the Cladribine study @ Yale
2-28-97.
 I was in the high dose group but like you said 'very disappointing
results' was the consensus. My EDSS graphed over the study period was
flat with no change at all (3.5 after 12 visits). I make a visit to Yale
on 3-11 to see where I go from here. Bee venom therapy? Avonex? Continue
for years on non-effective Cladribine? I would like to hear about the
information you have gleaned from others regarding the study. By The way
I'm very new to this newsgroup stuff. Please Respond. Take-Care
 Mark Gumkowski
[email-masked]