Subject: Oral myelin trial disappointment

From: [email-masked] (Aapo Halko)
Date: 22 Apr 1997 16:03:20 +0300

Disappointing results from clinical trial of oral myelin for rrMS:

http://www.nmss.org/msinfo/current_research/updates/RMP9717.html

    April 21, 1997

        Disappointing results from clinical trial of oral myelin for
                           relapsing-remitting MS

     _________________________________________________________________

   On April 21, 1997, AutoImmune Inc. (Lexington, MA) released
   preliminary results from their two-year, phase III clinical trial of
   Myloral., a preparation of bovine (cow) myelin given orally (by
   mouth). Data indicate that there was no difference in frequency of
   relapses or progression of disability between those taking the drug
   and those who received the inactive placebo. Brain magnetic resonance
   images (MRI), taken at intervals throughout the trial from all
   participants, have not been completely analyzed. Safety data showed
   that the drug had no adverse effects.

   The clinical trial involved some 500 people with well-defined
   relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. More than half of these
   individuals in the study received daily doses of Myloral. the rest
   received an inactive placebo. The study was double-blinded so that
   neither the individuals in it, nor the physicians evaluating them,
   knew who received the active drug. Participants in the trial were
   assessed every three months throughout the study.

   This early information was released by the company to comply with
   Federal Securities and Exchange Commission regulations concerning
   information for investors in publicly held companies. Additional
   analysis of data will glean as much as possible from these
   disappointing results.

   ) 1997 The National Multiple Sclerosis Society
   checked: April 1997

-- 
Aapo Halko  <[email-masked]>              *         |_
     http://www.helsinki.fi/~ahalko/ms.html       *    ___  O o
A www page that collects MS links on the Internet.*