Subject: Re: Methotrexate

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Shore)
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 97 10:58:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
   Paul/Joyce Eberl <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ... The only "pain" is that I have to have bloodwork 
> done every 3 weeks to make sure that the methotrexate
> isn't over-suppressing my immune system.

Mmmmmm. I suppose it is possible some of your bloodwork
is for that ... but the most common testing is done to ensure
that liver functions are not being adversely impacted, and
that the level of methx in your system is not too high. It
is normally maintained at a significantly lower level than
it would be, say, for someone on chemotherapy. The average
half-life level can be kept too high (a greater probability 
of liver damage or reduced red blood cell production) whcich
can occur if you are also taking something like salicylates. 
Aspirin or compounds that have the same effect block filtering 
done by the kidneys which in turn keeps the level too high.

The three-week or generally frequent monitoring is also usually
reduced gradually to quarterly bloodwork once your methx levels
are stabilized though more frequent tests certainly don't hurt.

FYI I was on methx (10 mg weekly) for 2.5 years with very nice
results until it suddenly stopped having an effect. Fortunately
Avonex had been approved for general usage a few months earlier
so my docs shifted me to that after a 6-week "de-tox" to flush
the remaining methx from my system. I've now been on Avonex for
6 months and it appears to be taking effect and without any
apparent side-effects so far (except for this little green
appendage that seems to be growing out of my forehead ....)

Jeff Shore
"The gimp with an attitude ...." :)
[email-masked]