Subject: Avonex news

From: LaVonne Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 21:40:18 -0800

Hi Gang

Had a chance to talk to the rep for Avonex from Biogen today.  Asked 
about antibodies to Avonex.  He said there will be a paper presented in 
April at some big meeting for neuros.  The study has, so far, shown that 
people do develop antibodies to Avonex, about 20% as compared to the 30% 
taking BetaSeron.  They do not know why the difference yet.  Also the 
study has proven that even if antibodies develop to Avonex, the drug is 
still effective.  They don't know why this is either but one of our 
favorite neuros here said that it's probably because the Avonex is closer 
to the interferon beta that our bodies produces that is the BetaSeron.  
Understand that the last sentence is an educated guess and not fact - 
yet.

Now some other good news for those having problems with being 
underinsured and/or having large co-pays for Avonex.  Call the customer 
information line number (1-800-465-2255) which is open M-F 8:30 am to 
8:00 pm Eastern Time.  Ask for Nova Factor.  Your call will be forwarded 
and Biogen will pay for the call to Nova Factor.  Explain your situation 
and they may assist you, depends on your need.  I do not know if Nova 
Factor will find financing for someone who has NO insurance for 
medications.  This place apparently, from what I could pick up from the 
part of the conversation I heard (came in in the middle, sorry), finds 
sources of financing from different people and companies to pick up some 
of the $ for the underinsured.

Hope this is of help to some of you who have had to make the decision not 
to use Avonex because of finances.

                  L

_______________________________________________________
Not one of us knows what effect his life produces, and what he gives to 
others;
that is hidden from us and must remain so, though we are often allowed to 
see
some little fraction of it, so that we may not lose courage.
                                   Albert Schweitzer