Subject: Re: Imuran and/or methotexate experiences

From: [email-masked] (Howard Wright)
Date: 31 Dec 1996 01:27:01 GMT

I'm sorry about the delay with this  response.  I have been having a
bout of DMS (dead modem syndrome), which has kept me off the net for a
while.

I have been using methotrexate for a bit over 6 months, first at 5mg per
week and then at 7.5mg per week.  I have not noticed any effect at all,
good or bad. I certainly haven't had any unpleasant side effects.
Unfortunately there hasn't been any beneficial effect either.  I am
continuing to go downhill.  My specialist tells me that it may be as
long as 12 months before I can tell whether there is any benefit.

There are a couple of no-nos if you do take methotrexate.  They are:

1.  Avoid too much alcohol.  I limit myself to two glasses of wine per
day and have not had any problems.  Too much booze and methotrexate
means no liver.

2.  Avoid aspirin.  The combination of aspirin and methotrexate can
intefere with blood platelet function and can increase the risk of
bleeding.  If you need a pain killer take paracetamol

3.  Avoid co-trimoxazole based antibiotics (Bactrim, Septrim etc.  These
are the average GPs first response to UTIs) These antibiotics work by
inhibiting folate uptake as does methotrexate. The combination can be
too much.

I have been having regular blood counts and liver enzyme tests.  All
have been OK so far.

Methotrexate has been used for several years for severe cases of
rheumatoid arthritis.  You may find some information on the RA newsgroup
or websites.

Regards,  Howard.