Subject: Re: greetings from internet newby

From: Gerry Gold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 14:31:48 -0500

continuing work... With MS

1.  11 years ago our chair recommended that I
accept long term disability and stop teaching. My decision then and now is
that I will stop when I am ready.

2. The implicit and explicit
understanding of my colleagues is that I am here to work but that there
are some things which I had better not do...

3. I get a great deal of
satisfaction from my work and I have concluded that no other arrangement
would be as satisfactory.

In 1988 I was working with MS although it was
largely invisible. In 1996, working with MS, I use a wheelchair and other
assistive devices but this has not caused any problems with my colleagues
or with students. .... Perhaps because it happened over an extended period
of time and because attitudes toward disability have changed. Good luck
Carolyn!/Gerry

Gerald Gold Department of Anthropology York University, North York,
Ontario M3J 1K3 CANADA tel. 416 736 2100 [Th. 11-3:00 except for a lunch
break] res. 416-225-8760 [early evening only]

Dictated entirely with IBM VoiceType Dictation under OS/2