Subject: Re: 4AP

From: "Kathy G." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 12:49:57 -0500

In a message dated 97-01-30 02:04:36 EST, [email-masked] (Ann Manasreh)
writes:

<< Sorry, I can't find the thread about 4AP.  Someone wrote in about a time
 released formula that was obtained from an Atlanta MS center.  Could you
 please re-post or e-mail the info to me?  My neuro has asked for a copy
 of the message. >>

Hi Ann,
I am the one who is taking 4AP.  It is supplied by the Shepherd Center
Apothecary in Atlanta, Georgia  (phone 404-350-7743).

The purpose of 4AP (4-aminopyridine) is to increase conduction of neural
signals in the brain.  I have found that it helps greatly with my locomotion
and fatigue. The pills are formulated in 10mg time-release capsules taken
twice a day. According to my neurolist the FDA is still testing this drug,
but it should be approved in the next three years.  Shepherd Center has over
1300 ms patients.  Please note that this is now an orphan drug so it is not
covered under insurance.  It costs aprox. $800 per yr.
You can get more specifics on the drug through the NMSS.

I have been taking this medication for over two years with excellent results.
 There have been some serious side effects with the medication but I haven't
had a problem.  I would suggest that your doctor consult one of the
neurologists at the ms center at Shepherd to find out more about their
success with this drug.
Good luck,   Kathy G.