Subject: Myelin Transplant Study

From: LaVonne Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 21:58:57 -0800

Hi Gang

Please understand that this study is in the very early stages and, *if it 
works*, will not be available to the general bunch of us for several 
years!!!  Any spelling errors are mine.  This memo comes from the 
Research and Medical Programs Dept. of the NMSS.

"News About Transplants to Replace Missing Myelin"

"INFORMATION
The January 1997 issue of _Nature Medicine_ contains a paper on the 
research of National Multiple Sclerosis Society grantee Ian Dumcan, 
PhD(University of Wisconsin-Madison) and colleagues, describing success 
in inducing new myelin to grow in the spinal cords of genetically mutant, 
seriously debilitated laboratory animals whose bodies are incapable of 
making normal myelin.  Myelin is the insulating material on nerve fibers 
which is destroyed by the immune system in multiple sclerosis (MS).  One 
goal of MS research is to find ways to replace lost myelin to improve 
nerve function in people with the disease.

These experiments involved injecting immature myelin-making cells 
(oligodendrocytes) into areas of the spinal cords of a small number of 
the mutant animals.  The transplanted cells manufactured myelin and 
wrapped it aroung nerve fibers both in the vicinity of the transplant 
sites and farther away from the sites.  In spite of the new myelin 
growth, the animals experienced no clinical improvement.

These preliminary experiments add to evidence in animal models suggesting 
transplanted myelin cells may be useful in the future for treating humans 
with multiple sclerosis, if the immune attack underlying the disease can 
be stopped and the many complications of this invasive procedure can be 
resolved.  Other research approaches include stimulating natural myelin 
repair processes.  The national Multiple Scoerosis Society supports many 
research projects in these areas to advance the goal of repairing myelin 
and restoring function in people with multiple sclerosis."
-------------------------- 
_____________L__________________________________________
Not one of us knows what effect his life produces, and what he gives to 
others;
that is hidden from us and must remain so, though we are often allowed to 
see
some little fraction of it, so that we may not lose courage.
                                   Albert Schweitzer