Subject: Re: Methotrexate

From: Wayne Longman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 13:51:46 UT

ssnip>My husband has just started treatment for his CPMS with Methx.  Has
>anyone had any *good* results using Methotrexate?  snip

Hi

I took Methotrexate for nearly a year

I had developed weakness in my arms as well as weakness in my left leg.  I was
told that Methotrexate did not help on problems below the waist but was
sometime effective for arm troubles.

I was very happy with the drug.  I had only minor side effects.  I took 10mg
once a week.  On what I referred to as "my poison day" I tended to be a bit
nauseous and achey.  I had blood studies done on a regular basis - all results
were normal.  My hair did not fall out or, as more common, become thinner.

I lived in Canada when I was on Methotrexate  When I moved to the US the new
neuro was reluctant to order methotrxate because he was unfamiliar with the
drug. He referred me to a rheumatologist to supervise the drug for me.

I stopped taking the drug only because it was necessary to be accepted on a
Betaseron clinical trial.

I had a signiificant improvement in arm strength and I did not  experience any
facial numbness whiole I was on the drug.  Facial numbness is a problem of
mine. Not painful but really annoying.  So far no facial pain.  My arm
streength has not deteriorated to the extent it was before I went on
Methotrexate

Anna Longman