Subject: Re: Cladribine Trial Results in NJ

From: Jackie Ferguson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:37:08 -0500

Arlene Horowitz wrote:
LaVonne Murphy wrote:
Jackie Ferguson wrote:

I'm sending this post to the group to share my experience of taking
Cladribine from August 1995 to February 1996 (done intermittently for a
total of 30 doses).

My neurologist ordered the cladribine because I was showing steady
progression.  Around the 3rd month into Rx my MS seemed to stabilize.
At about that time I began P.T., for a backache.  We worked on my gait,
because my body mechanics was all eschew.

I continue to exercise ... About an hour most days.  I exercise against
resistance (use weights, etc.), stretching exercises are among my
favorite.  Now, I'm on a self imposed high protein diet ... (why?  It's
good muscle food).

Before, I could hardly walk ... I mean I had "graduated" to using a
scooter in the house.  Now I'm ambulatory at home, and when I go out I'm
able to walk short distances using bilateral support (4-wheeled walker
or 2 canes).  I'm driving again, and have the gratification of the
independence that goes with it.

I'm doing better than I've done in the past 5 years.  I mean practical
strangers will come over to me and comment on this.  

In short, I feel good, luck good .... and this is an obvious reality. 
Needless to say, emotionally I'm right up there.

I guess I'm making a few points:

1.  The cladribine appeared to stabilize my MS (annecdotal report).

2.  P.T. and a daily routine of regimented exercise has been a powerful
adjunct to the cladribine. 

3.  I honestly believe that my high protein diet (over 100 Gms/day) has
been a tremendous building block as I improve my musculature.

I needed to share this with you.  (I too am disappointed about the
results of the clad. study). 

Jackie Ferguson