Subject: Re: update on Bertel

From: [email-masked] (Larry Chrislip)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 00:36:03 GMT

B Stenius & M Martin <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Hello all, I am writing for Bertel because he is too tired himself
>and wants to answer all those who have  remembered him either
>on the list or privately.

My  name is Larry Chrislip, I have had TN for past last 10 years.
I received this information just this week.     FYI
.

Your story is the extreme case of a patient that we read about in the
neurosurgical textbooks.  

Surgical treatment of long standing trigeminal neuralgia can be
successful.
It involves insinuating a small cushion between the nerve as it
exits the brain and any blood vessels that might be pressing upon it.

Recent developments in the use of the Gamma Knife may be a viable 
alternative for the future.  Short term results are very encouraging.
It 
is performed on an outpatient basis.  It uses a focussed point of
radiation
to disrupt the abnormal electrical circuit within the nerve which may
be
the cause of the face pain.

I am part of a group of neurosurgeons that is participating in a Gamma

Knife program.  There is GK unit in Houston, I believe.  If you wish
for more 
information, mail us.