Subject: Report on UPDATE part II (3rd try)

From: [email-masked] (Chabsj)
Date: 13 Dec 1996 15:57:13 GMT

Report was truncated on Compuserve. Continuation continues herewith on
AOL. 

           d. Immunosuppressants:

          1. Cladribine: Still experimental. It may have
significant therapeutic effect, tho its toxicity is likewise
significant. Further studies in chronic progressive multiple
sclerosis are in progress 
.
          2. Other immunosuppressants: Limited effects and
significant potential for toxicity. Mechanism: general
suppression of the cellular components of the immune process

     e. Linomide: Favorable results in small trials with
relapsing remitting and secondary progressive disease.
Significant side effects. Three year study of different doses and
placebo in progress. Mechanism: Unkown(It may stimulate
suppressor cells or suppressor cytokines).

     f. Intravenous limited high dose methylprednisolone for an
acute attack. Probably shortens the acute attack and may have
some
effect on the severity of the disease. Mechanism: Decreases the
inflammatory and immune response during treatment.
   
     g. Monoclonal antibodies: In the experimental
stage.Mechanism: The antibodies will combine with and therefore
block specific receptors at the antigen presenting site and
elsewhere in this disease process. They may also combine with
other harmful molecules to which they have been sensitized(eg
antiadhesion molecule antibody).

8.   Even if a therapy is effective, there will be
non-responders. This does not make the drug a failure!. A
different acceptable therapy which fails in some others may work
for that person.

9    It is likely that multiple therapies will be method of the
future, thus hitting the process at several points.

10. It is likely that successful therapy will be continuous or
regularly intermittent despite remission (no waiting for a
relapse to occur).

11, Excellent presentations were also made at this meeting on
symptomatic management and advances in neurorehabilitation. They
are beyond the scope of this summary but will be discussed if sufficient
interest..

David T. Mintz