Subject: Re: Imuran and/or methotexate experiences

From: Wayne Longman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 01:30:25 UT

I was on methotrexate for one year.  I had developed weakness in both arms
that was progressing slowly but steadily.

I took 3 pills a week,  7.5 mg.  I found that the progression stopped.  I had
my blood tested every two weeks while I was on the drug - liver studies to
identify any development of liver problems.  No problems detected.

At the end of the first year, my neuro suggested that the dosage should be
increased to see if strengthening of my arms could be accelerated.  As I was
moving to another city, he left the adjustment of dosage to the next doctor.

Instead of a new city, we moved from Canada to the USA.  The neurologist here
was not familiar with methotrexate.  I came off the methotrexate to become
eligible for the drug trials of betaseron for progressive forms of MS.

That was about 7 months ago.  The weakness in my arms is returning but has not
yet reached the level I was at 2 years ago.  I can drive my car now without
excessive fatigue (THe symptom that had precipitated the start of
methotrexate)

I would highly recommend the drug - under the care of an informed and
conservative doctor.  The side effects can include severe liver damage.  Some
people experience thinning of their hair but not complete loss of hair as is
seen in the higher doses used for chemotherapy for cancer (Cancer dosages are
in the region of 250 to 350 mg versus doses less than 20 for most MSer
treatment)  THe drug is also used for rheumatoid arthritis.

I found that I tired more easily on my pill day.  At the beginning I
expirienced some  mild to moderate nausea - unpleasant smells tended to
trigger the nausea.  For the most part this occurred only on pill day and the
severity decreased substanially within a month or two of starting the drug.