Subject: Current Research Updates

From: Walt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 21:11:14 -0500

22 November 1996=20

      Update on Neutralizing Antibodies Against Interferon Beta-1b=
 (Betaseron=AE)=20

Detailed information about the occurrence of antibodies that may neutralize
the benefits of interferon
beta-1b (Betaseron=AE) has been published in the medical journal Neurology.
Thirty-five percent of
individuals treated with the now-standard dose of Betaseron=AE in the=
 pivotal
clinical trials developed
neutralizing antibodies (immune system proteins), most within the first year
of treatment. In these
individuals, the benefits of treatment on reduced relapse rate and
accumulation of brain lesions were
lost after about 18 months. For the 65% of individuals who did not develop
neutralizing antibodies,
clinical benefit remained, with as much as a 50% reduction in relapse rate
and no significant increase
in MRI-detected lesions for as long as four years of treatment. Physician
guidelines for discontinuing
Betaseron=AE treatment in those who develop neutralizing antibodies have=
 been
established. Berlex
Laboratories has developed a laboratory measure for neutralizing antibodies
against BetaseronR that
is not yet fully validated. Berlex is making the lab test available free of
charge on an investigational
basis. Once validated, this lab test may offer guidance in determining those
individuals with MS for
whom the treatment is no longer working.

More info available at
http://www.nmss.org/msinfo/current_research/updates/RMP9701.html

;~):-);~)
Walt in Winnipeg, MB., Canada
--------------------------------------------------------------------
        Crutch's Corner http://www.cris.com/~Debwalt/
-------------------------------------------------------------------- =20
            GRAPELINE <[email-masked]>
     Join the GrapeLine - Ciska <[email-masked]>
     GrapeVine http://www.cris.com/~Debwalt/gsx/gsx.shtml
--------------------------------------------------------------------
           Walt                 |          Nothing Left to lose
  <[email-masked]>      |         May the Force be with You
 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada     |           Live Well and Prosper
--------------------------------------------------------------------