Subject: Re: Avonex vs. Betaseron

From: Ann Manasreh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 20:11:37 -0600

JayneDo333 wrote:
> 
> Hi Folks -- I'm new here.  My doc is giving me a choice of avonex or
> betaseron.  Does anyone have an opinion on which one I should choose?

Just some thoughts.  The betaseron subcu injection is more painful 
because the nerve endings are more numerous in the skin.  Also seems to 
give more skin surface reactions.  However, my neuro has suggested that 
BS and its every other day injections cause the body to have a more 
level supply of the drug.
Avonex is almost painless to me and the side-effects have been minimal 
to me.  But it does seem to cause an eneven supply of the drug in the 
body.  The injection in the muscle causes a faster dispersion.  My neuro 
was interested in Avonex because it was shown to slow progression.  
My neuro is actively involved with these drug studies--he did Cop-1 and 
he's doing the BS on progressives.  He feels very positive about the 
possibilities of the drugs in what he has seen in the trials and in his 
own practice.