Subject: Re: Prednisone

From: [email-masked] (WFO Ent)
Date: 5 Jul 1995 18:11:02 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
Paul Woods <[email-masked]> writes:

>Prednisone

PREDNISONE (Deltasone®) is a type of medication, called steroid or
corticosteroid, used to provide relief for inflamed areas of the body. It
is similar to the steroid hormones produced naturally by the adrenal
gland. It reduces swelling, redness, itching, and allergic reactions, and
may be used to treat severe allergies, skin problems, asthma, arthritis,
or many other conditions as determined by your doctor. Prednisone is
available as tablets and liquids to be taken by mouth. It is available
only by prescription and is available generically.

Considerations before beginning prednisone
Other medical conditions
Make sure that your doctor is aware of any other medical conditions you
have because they can affect the safety and effectiveness of prednisone,
and prednisone can worsen some medical conditions. Steroid medications
should be used cautiously in patients with osteoporosis or other bone
disease; colitis; diverticulitis; stomach problems; diabetes; fungal,
viral, or bacterial infections; recent surgery or serious injury;
tuberculosis; glaucoma; heart disease; high blood pressure; kidney
disease; kidney stones; high cholesterol; liver disease; overactive or
underactive thyroid; myasthenia gravis; or systemic lupus erythematosus.

High dose or long-term use of prednisone may worsen bone disease by
increasing calcium loss; worsen glaucoma by increasing the pressure in the
eye; worsen heart and blood vessel disease by increasing blood
cholesterol; worsen heart disease, high blood pressure, kidney disease, or
kidney stones by causing the body to retain more salt and water; and cause
increased weakness and trouble breathing in patients with myasthenia
gravis. It may also cover up or worsen various stomach/intestional
problems or infections, and slow healing or cause new infections in
patients with fungal or viral infections, or a history of tuberculosis.

Prednisone may be removed from the body more slowly in patients with liver
disease or underactive thyroid; thus the effects and side effects may be
exaggerated. People with systemic lupus erythematosus are also more likely
to experience some side effects of this medication.

Other medications
Interactions between prednisone and other medications can affect the
safety and effectiveness of either medication. This medication can
potentially interact with many other medications. Do not take with any
other prescription or nonprescription medication without consulting your
doctor or pharmacist. Tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are currently
taking any other medications.

Aminoglutethimide, antacids, barbiturates, carbamazepine, grizeofulvin,
mitotane, phenylbutazone, phenytoin, primidone, or rifampin may make
prednisone less effective.

Amphotericin B or some diuretics (water pills) taken with prednisolone may
lead to low blood potassium. Low blood potassium can cause serious side
effects, especially in patients taking digoxin or digitalis. Prednisone
may increase blood sugar, and should be used with caution in patients
taking medications to treat diabetes. Immunizations or vaccinations may be
dangerous to patients taking long-term prednisone.

Pregnancy or breast-feeding
This medication should not be used in pregnant or breast-feeding women.
Prednisone may cause birth defects or slow growth in children after birth.
It passes into breast milk and may cause unwanted effects in nursing
infants. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breast-feeding before
taking this medication.

Allergies
This medication should be used with caution in patients with allergies to
corticosteroids.

Diet
If you will be taking this medication for a long time, you may need to
avoid high-sodium foods. This medication can cause your body to retain
salt and water. Too much salt may cause high blood pressure and water
retention in the body. T